Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone





One thing I try to do not only as a photographer but as a person is to recognize my weaknesses and turn them into strengths. That being said one of my weaknesses as a photographer is photojournalism, and taking portraits of complete strangers. I prefer being in a studio setting where I have complete control of the lights. If I want a shadow to fall a certain way, or if I want soft light I have control over that. I can direct the model and have them look in a particular direction or move how I see the image in my head. Take me out of that situation and I am uncomfortable. I have great respect for people who can go out and capture great photojournalism and street photography. I want to get better in this aspect of photography so this past weekend I decided to go to the Renaissances Festival in Nashville and practice doing more photojournalism and editorial portraits. I figured it would be a good place to get some nice characters and it is more controlled environment rather than just going to the streets and start shooting (when I get more comfortable with street photography and photojournalism I will then do that). Here are some of the images from my experience of stepping out of my comfort zone. I don't know if I would consider these images photojournalism, or more environmental/editorial portraiture. 
The Beast

A glass artist working at the festival

Wood fairies blowing bubbles

This was the first actor I encounter walking to the festival

This wood fairy looks so happy that she caught her bubble

No comments:

Post a Comment